Friday, February 22, 2013

Smashbook: 100 Things I Love


I was never a scrapbooker. Something about the technicality of it, the things you can and can't do, is very unappealing to me. If I have an urge to create something, I don't want any rules to stop me from making it my best! That is why I love SMASH* Books by K&Company! Smash*ing is the total opposite of scrapbooking. There are no rules... you have the complete freedom to do whatever you want on the pages of your books. You won't find any layout templates, rules for what adhesive or pens to use, or anything telling you what not to do! You may come across some handy tips, but definitely nothing giving you restrictions on how far your creativity can go.

Although SMASH* books are what you can call a "Fad" now, the concept of smash*ing is not something new to me. Starting from childhood, I kept journals (I still have the ones from 1990, when I was about 10 years old), and I didn't just write in them. They were full of photobooth strips, stickers, magazine clippings, paper ephemera from the time, little tags & mementos, family photos, etc. Back then, they didn't have a name for this type of "Art." Now it's called SMASHing! I guess I'm a natural....

I pretty much use my SMASH* books the same way I did when I was 10 :) Except now, my books are full of much more meaningful life experiences... and definitely more creative! I've only been SMASHing for about 6 months, and when I first started I found some wonderful women in a Facebook group called SMASH*aholics. It's amazing how women of all ages, from different cultures all over the world, and from all walks-of-life, can come together in one place to inspire each other and share thoughts and ideas, because we all share the same love....SMASH* books.


Back in October of 2012 I posted a pic of my "100 Things I Love" spread up in group. I wasn't expecting to get such a huge response to it, but I did. To date, it has close to 200 likes and over a hundred comments, and also inspired many other women to create their own rendition of it. I love seeing their creations, and it still amazes me how one "idea" can be interpreted or carried out in totally different ways based on that person's own personal Smash* style.

There were so many requests and questions in SMASH*aholics about this spread. So today, I want to share it with you here. It's one of my favorites because of the simplicity of it. Very few embellishments were needed. The only supplies I used was a pencil and eraser, a black pen, some markers, a few number and alpha stickers, some tiny icon stickers...and my brain. My brain did most of the work trying to figure out how in the world I was going to come up with 100 Things! So, I made a list to help me...

You're going to compile a list that will eventually add up to 100 "Things" You Love. For journaling, you can even give an explanation for each of the things you add to your list. To create it, I started out with a basic writing prompt list I found, and modified it to work for my needs. I also added things that were better suited for me and my style. The end result is what you see below...

  • 15 Activities, Hobbies, Items/Things
  • 15 Characters (Fictional), People, Places
  • 10 Stores, Restaurants
  • 10 Foods
  • 6 Drinks/Beverages
  • 4 Desserts/Sweets
  • 10 Games, Books, Movies, Shows
  • 10 Websites, Blogs, Apps
  • 10 Favorites (Color, Season, Day, Holiday, Music, etc.)
  • 10 Writers, Authors, Directors, Actors, Celebs, Photographers, Artists

*Feel free to make adjustments to my list to better suit you.

TIP: A great way to get you brainstorming is to start out listing things you can't live without and that you absolutely love...then my list should help you from there.

The majority of your time will be spent making your list and figuring out the placement of your "things." I have some OCD habits, so those steps (especially the latter) took me longer than normal. To save me from ruining my pages, I made sure to do everything in pencil first. All of the writing you see on these pages are my own handwritten fonts. Most of the little "icons" are my doodles as well.


Once everything was right where I wanted them, I went over the whole page with my black zig pen/marker, and erased all of the pencil marks. I then colored in the little icons with markers, and used tiny stickers from my Smash* Stash for some of my "favorites". I also used some pink thickers and white alphas in my title.

Now it's your turn to create your version of "100 Things." Don't do exactly as I did, bring a bit of "yourself" into this spread. If you're an artist, show your artsy side. I love handwriting and penmanship. So I naturally went for the different handwritten fonts and doodles.

This was such a fun spread for me. I think I'll be doing it every year in whatever Smashbook I'm working in at the time. I think it really helps you get to know yourself better. But most importantly, it makes you appreciate life for all of the little things too.

I hope you leave here feeling inspired to add something like this to your pages.

Wanna stay updated on my recent posts and projects? Be sure to "like" my new fan page on Facebook!

Are you a SMASHer? Thinking about joining SMASH*aholics on Facebook? Tell them I sent you! What do you think of this spread? Did you make pages like this with the help of my list? I would love to see it! Are you a blogger that used my list and posted about your "100 Things" pages? Please credit me and link me up. I can't wait to read about it! Any questions, thoughts, or comments? Please let me know. Your feedback is always welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful information. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy :) Thank you so much for the feedback! I hope you are inspired to create your own spread like this. It will be something great to look at as time goes on ;)

      Delete
  2. Cool! Thanks for the explanation, look forward to doing one of my own. Yep I'm a smasher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! Are you a SMASH*aholic sister? I recognize your name from group :)Hopefully my list will inspire and give you the jumpstart you need to make a spread like this. I think they're great pages to include in any book <3 I can't wait to see yours in group! Thank you so much for stopping by and showing love!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tips Crystal! I've always loved this page and you sure inspired many, including me...even though I haven't done a page like this yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon :D You are so very welcome! I'm so happy to inspire you and appreciate all of the love you've shown to my pages in group. Maybe this post will give you what you need to finally do this spread :) I can't wait to see your rendition!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving such wonderful feedback <3

      Delete
  4. Hi, Hola Crystal
    Absolutely BEAUTIFUL creation.. love it!
    Great JOB!
    *New Follower*
    -Sony
    sonia-studio60.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sony :) Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it! And also a big thank you for following me!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! I didn't even know about "smashing" until my lil sis pinned something of yours on Pinterest, so I clicked on it and got to your site! Cool!! I'm going to save your page as a favorite and will add this to my list of crafts to do. Thanks so much for the explanation and list to help start us out. Take care!! Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana! Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me. I'm so happy to hear that you've added my "100 Things" to your list of crafts to do. You are so very welcome. I'm proud to share that list with everyone and hope to inspire many more people to give it a try :) Thank you again for your kind words, I really appreciate it! Take care Dana.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this! I recently discovered SMASH book and let me tell you I'm excited to start on my first one. So much you can do with it and looking at your beautiful pieces, inspires me to get even more creative with mine. You have an AMAZING talent, i love all of your work! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimbo :) You are going to fall in love with Smash*ing! It will turn into an addiction. Although I haven't been creating much in my SMASH* books this year, since I've been hooked on Project Life, I'm still happy that I can share my old creations. I feel so proud to inspire you <3 And I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me and for your kind words. It means a lot! Take care and stop by again soon. I'd love to hear how your SMASHing journey goes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover